Friday, April 27, 2012

L'union européenne et l'euro

I didn't do much en français aujourd'hui. I was too busy (J'était trop occupée).

Mais hier I got to parler avec Aurélie de Native French Speech et ses trois enfants. It was so fun. I love getting the glimpse into la vie française, especially a young family.

I also got to see how much I have to practice speaking. Je comprends beaucoup, mais je ne parle pas bien. But that's okay because I AM LEARNING.

Speaking with a native French tutor is a great way to realize what I need to work on, which phrases I need to learn and how to use certain patterns and constructions correctly. I look forward to more of this. It gives me a real reason to speak, to learn how to say the things I want to say to her.

In the meantime, to do at least something today, I am going to listen to épisode 34 of the Native French Speech podcast and read along with the free PDF transcript a few times so that I can really understand it. (I have already listened to it a few times.)

It's about the history of the European Union (l'UE) and c'est très interessant. I hadn't known that much about it previously. When I lived en Espagne et en Allemagne (1985/86 and 1990/91, respectively), tous les pays européens toujours utilisaient leur monnaie nationale, pas l'Euro. 




L'euro est la monnaie de l'Union économique et monétaire formée au sein de l'Union européenne. Elle est commune à 17 États membres de l'UE qui forment ainsi la zone euro



Today the exchange rate is about 1 Euro = $1.33

Here is a menu from a popular Paris café (Le petit fer à cheval) to compare prices. 

We charge $2.35 for a double organic espresso and $2.95 for a double organic vanilla latté at our cafe here in Port Townsend - Better Living Through Coffee.













No comments:

Post a Comment